collab

Sunday, October 8, 2017

APPARITION RIVER




APPARITION RIVER 


I walked along the river again today
I saw the places where we used to play
I saw the apparitions floating by
Of smile and kiss reflecting in the sky
I felt the touch I can't feel any more
Since you walked out and slammed that hollow door
And it bounced back and refused to catch and lock
And I sat there waiting three days for your knock.


After three days I thought I heard a siren's wail
But I was so far down I couldn't tell
Screaming past my house down by the water 
It woke me up and I went running after
My mother caught my arm and said "Go home."
Then she rocked me, crying, "Baby girl, he's gone."
So now I walk the river's edge and cry
And watch the apparitions floating by.


"There are ghosts in that river," you told me, "Suicides,
Lovers lost and widows, jilted brides."
You teased me every time we gathered there
But I loved you so much I didn't care
I remember how your ghost stories made me shiver
But how we loved that muddy rolling river
And now that dirty water is your grave
And I have nothing lovely left to save.


I saw you there last week by river's edge
You waved at me and smiled that golden smile
I stood there so dead still upon the ledge
And let your memory hold me for a while
I know I broke your heart but you forgive me
I know I lied to you and did you harm
For three long years I've walked along that river
And longed to be back in my true love's arms.


Tomorrow morning I shall get up early
I'll put on my unused white wedding gown
I'll carry roses in my arms to give you
And let your apparition pull me down 
Down to the muddy depths of cold, cold water
Reflecting blue that's borrowed from the sky
Then immortal, hand in hand, we'll walk together
And watch other apparitions floating by.





One More Time by Laura Pausini


©by Voo
March 3, 2004


1 comment: