collab

Saturday, February 11, 2017

AND WE HAD SECRETS







And We Had Secrets



(And we had secrets
Like diamonds wrapped in newspapers
Carried under eager arms,
As we ran through our lives,
Hampered not by sun or storm,
To shadows full of bliss.

For it was there
In shadows, gray
That nothing cruel could find us,
Nothing cold could touch our souls
Nor quench the hungry kiss.)

There, in shadow,
The dark unseen,
No illumination shown
Our hands, our eyes
Would find the prize
Our hearts had never known.

Concrete jungles,
Asphalt gardens,
And no bed in which to sleep,
You stole the stars
Out of the sky
And gave to me to keep.

Love letters written,
In graffiti sprayed
On cars and bars and walls,
Two runaways
With no where to stay,
Answering no other hearts' calls.

Two wild hearts beating
Like crippled birds
That don't know that they're lame
We soared and flew,
Just me and you,
So different, yet the same.

We vowed to stay forever
On the streets where we ran free
Hiding from schools and homes and rules
Where we did not want to be.

Homes, where your father
And my father and us
Lived in our lives
Full of hate and mistrust.

But you grew weary
And I grew up
And made my way back home
I left the anarchy of my youth,
And you, I left alone.

Rebellion has an emptiness
And it's voids that you can't fill
But the future calls us from the past
Where the memories live on, still.

I sit behind a law firm's desk
With employees all around me
And I look up and see your face
For once again, you've found me.

A business man
In Armani suit,
With a woman and a child
There in your wallet,
Part of your past,
And my heart goes running wild.

My eyes can't seem 
To look away
And yours can't seem to meet
For if they do, I know it's true
They'll sweep me off my feet.

"So nice to see you."
I hear you say
"Just wanted to say hello,
I've just made partner
And I've got the office
Across from yours, you know."

I turn and look out
Of the glass
Rain splashed, bereft of sun,
I don't know what to do or say
And I don't know where to run.

For running's all 
I've ever done,
For many lonely years
Away from you, away from me
Rebelling back the tears.

They say that you cannot go home
No matter how many tries,
But the only home I've ever known
Lies hiding in your eyes.

And I know that
And you know that
As I turn and try to smile
"So kind of you to think of me,
Won't you visit for a while?"

But you shake your head
And back away
And make a quick retreat
"I've got to move all my things in."
A mistake then:  Our eyes meet.

Slow motion waves
Of memory,
Of days and nights in love,
Running hand in hand
With naught
But Heaven up above.

We drown in loss
And deep regret
In pain and passion's lure
We sink in sickness, knowing, both,
That passion is the cure.

And people stare,
Until we blink
And pull our eyes away
As decades pass before our eyes
Like they only were a day.

No one could know the history,
No one could guess the truth,
That the two of us had ever been
Punkrockgothic, reckless youth.

Now days have flown
Since you've moved in
And caused my life such bother
You're moving up and doing well
Working for my father.

It's funny how our lives turn out
It's strange how things can change
How in one moment all our plans
Come undone and rearranged.

We are so careful with one another
When we meet, we do not touch
We look away and try not to say
What our hearts still say so much.

Today, I came back 
In from lunch
To find my desk, askew
A  graffiti note lay in the mess
Spray painted, neon blue.

And only I
And only you
Could know what that note meant
And only I could know the one
From whom that note was sent.

(And we have secrets
Like diamonds wrapped in newspapers
Carried under eager arms,
As we run through our lives,
Hampered not by sun or storm,
To shadows full of bliss.

For it is there
In shadows, gray
That nothing cruel can find us,
Nothing cold can touch our souls
Nor quench the hungry kiss.)

And we have secrets
And they have us
And at the end of every day,
From my father's eyes,
And to our surprise,
We still run away.




©by Voo
Jan 22, 2012
1:42 a.m.                                 



  •            
                                     Run Away by Jefferson Starship




4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this one. Even though it's been over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew who's story it was that I pulled out
      of the air. Perhaps yours?

      Delete
  2. “Like diamonds wrapped in newspaper, carried under eager arms”
    Could this be a true story..??😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete