collab

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

SWEET BABY


My Very Favorite Prince Song


"Sweet Baby"





"You want to be my sweet baby?"

You asked shyly
And I hung my head 
And nodded
Because I was shy, too

And that was how it started,

How it began
With me and you
Slowly and shyly
And oh, so sweetly.

When I feel sad or down

I think of that day
When you called me "Sweet baby"
For the first time
And I always smile.

For I had waited for ever

For someone to notice me
And talk to me
And learn how sweet I could be.

For someone to walk with me

And hold my hand
And look into my eyes
Like they could see into my soul.

But everyone just passed me by

Like I was invisible
And never said a word
And every day I just got lonelier
And lonelier.

Till I saw you

Standing there alone yourself
Looking like you didn't have nothing
And nobody
And no where to go.

And I waited and waited

And I prayed and prayed
That you would look my way
But you never did
So I took matters into my own hands.

I marched right over 

To where you were leaning against the store
And I went right up to you
Like I had good sense
And I said, "Hello."

And you jumped out of your skin

And said, "Who, me?"
And I said, "I don't see nobody else here."
And you stood there very quietly
For about five very long minutes.

"I'm sorry." you finally said

"But I've been watching you every day
Since I moved to this town
And I thought you were the prettiest girl
I had ever seen in my life!"

"I can't believe you're speaking to me

Or that you even knew I was alive
So I guess it scared me too death
When you came over and said hello
'Cause I was just standing here dreaming."

And that is how I learned that boys

Are strange but then so are girls
For we have no idea that anyone feels
The way we do or dreams the dreams we do
Because we are too afraid to ask.

And we became inseparable

From that day to this
And we walked and we talked
And we learned all about one another
And found out how much we were alike.

Then one day you had to go out of town

To work on your GrandDaddy's farm
And you didn't want to go and I didn't want you to
And we stood there at the bus station
With tears in our eyes like big ole babies.

That's when you called me your sweet baby

And I told you I would wait for you
And write you every day if you wanted me to
And that I would miss you with all my heart
And you gave me that necklace with the heart on it.

That was the longest six months of my life

And I know it was hard for you too
But sometimes it's good to be apart
Because then you learn just how much
You love somebody.

My mama teased me day and night

And asked me why I was moping around
"Over that lil ole boy"
And telling me I needed to take off that necklace
At least when I took a bath.

But I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't let go of it

I held onto it with all my soul
And I was holding onto it when you came back home
But what I didn't know was that you had left a boy
And you stepped off that old bus, a man.

"How's my sweet baby?" you called

And pulled me into your arms
Like somebody drowning holds onto a life raft
And I hung my head and said, "I'm fine"
"Just fine."

Then in a renewed burst of courage I grabbed you

And gave you the biggest kiss that anybody had ever
Gotten in the history of kissing
And the gawkers and shoppers let out shocked gasps
But I didn't care and I kissed you again.

And I turned around 

And my mama was standing there by the car
And I thought she was gonna kill me
Or ground me for a hundred years
 But she had the most amazed expression on her face
And to my ever lasting surprise she just looked at me
And she said, "You go, girl."


©by Voo

Jan 16, 2019
3:49 a.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment