collab

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

I Followed The Moon




The Heart Within
by Peter Gundry



I Followed The Moon


I followed the moon to find you
For the moon knew where you did abide
In a forest of green that was hidden, unseen
With no door to let me come inside.

Your feet left no tracks on the soft grass
I could not follow you on the trail
I could not discern for I had not yet learned
All the secrets that you kept so well.

You came to me in shadow one bright night
When I was there weeping alone
Lying in a field of moon flowers
With a young heart that felt made out of stone.

All of my life I'd felt lonely
And thought  that I always would be
Except for the man in the moon, my one friend
(For I thought that the moon followed me.)

And you sang to me while I did sleep
Lying on that ground
You caressed my face with tender grace
And then left without a sound.

I looked for you long after that
And called for you to hear
But though I could not see your form
I felt that you were near.

Sometimes I heard you singing softly
In the whispers of the leaves
Sometimes I saw you clear as day
In the branches of the trees.

At night I dreamed of your bright eyes
Watching in my room
But when I opened up my own,
Saw nothing but the moon.

Sometimes I felt you touching me
Kneeling by my bed
Raising my face for your kiss
Your hand upon my head.

Sometimes you did much more than touch
Sometimes you deemed to linger
And wrapped me in your arms so tight
And round your little finger.

And I began to crave that touch
And hunger for that bliss
And I became a woman, lost
With each beguiling kiss.

For many nights you did not come
Not even in a dream
And I went mad with wanting you
And holding back my scream.

And then one night with second sight
I knew where you might be found
I slipped out of my window
While the moonlight lit the ground.

And I followed the moon as it hurried ahead
In the sky toward the forest so dark
Ignoring the danger, the beast and the stranger
As the hunger led me by the heart.

I followed the moon to find you
Not knowing if man or a ghost
Awaited me there in the green forest lair
Nor if you'd be a welcoming host.

And when the moon had come to rest
I stopped underneath it's glow
Wondering if I'd lost my mind
Because I didn't know.

If you were real or phantom
If you were myth or man
And I cried and cried there in the dark
Until you took my hand.

'You came to me!" you softly breathed
"Your love has set me free!
The curse is reversed and broken
Because you came to me!"

And you covered my face in kisses
And looked into my eyes so deep
"Until tonight I could only touch you
There in the world of sleep."

"Your love has given me flesh and form!"
You cried with human tears
"You do not know how long I've waited
For all these lonely years."

"I followed the moon to find you." I said
"With my heart full of doubt and of doom 
But is this tale of yours true, my love, who are you?"
And you smiled, "I was the man in the moon."





©By Voo
October 2, 2019
2:38 p.m.



4 comments:

  1. You dreampt yourself a man,
    Dreampt as hard as you can,
    And your dream took form,
    Cold moon became warm,
    And away from the sun you both ran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very beautiful poem my friend
    The moon always inspires many a poet

    ReplyDelete