collab

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Turning Twenty-Two








Turning Twenty-Two




Yeah, I turned twenty- two today
And I didn't know what to do or to say
How to act or how to feel, if this was it, if it was real?
If I should rejoice or just lament about the money that he'd spent.

I sat with my father and that made him glad
For so very long now he's been so sad
And everything seems to just make him mad
But me and my birthdays and poetry.

There was a cake, there was a dish
I blew out the candles and made a wish
I wished for a life that was happy and free
And that things could go back to the way they used to be.

When I was a boy and life was a game
Of long summer days and walks in the rain
Of puppies and kittens and laughing till crying
And there was no such thing as divorce or dying.

I remember those days and they make me smile
As I visit my childhood and forget for a while
How different life is now and how lonely it seems
When compared to the world that I live in, in dreams.

I turned the Big 2-2, twenty two today
 And my friends all teased  me and called me "Old Man" and such
And the presents were nice
And I admit I was touched.

But for some reason I felt old
And not young anymore
And I felt I had walked through a no-going-back-door
And that I had set foot on a far away shore............

As I looked at my father,
 Being brave, though bereft
I looked into his sad eyes..........
And I saw myself.




©by Voo
For Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment