collab

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Sudden Kindness






Sudden Kindness


You spilled the milk! she sharply said
And I, clumsy little bit of a girl that I am
Hung my head and nodded in guilty silence
And that's all there is! she rebuked me further.

Nodding again, I felt a big tear form in my eye
Slide down my face and fall into the small white puddle
I could never do anything right no matter how hard I tried
That much had been established.

Feeling her anger, I sought to run but could not move
My bare feet were frozen to the spot
My tears, falling like rain now and blurring my vision
I did not see her moving towards me.

There, there, she said in a soothing tone
As she took me into her arms and smoothed back my hair
It's alright, it's only milk, it's not gold. We'll go buy more
And I was so surprised by her sudden kindness that I began to weep.


©by voo
July 16, 07

5 comments:

  1. Poor little girl. She didn't deserve to be talked to that way in the first place no matter what. It was an accident, and it was only milk. I can't imagine the damage that it may have done to her and the lasting impression it may have left. Sensitive kids can feel insecure and need more tender love and care and understanding. Their low esteem doesn't need this kind of stress.

    Sorry! I feel for these certain kids that have been abused whether verbally or physically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was why she started crying. She was so shocked that her mother was suddenly being so nice to her. I'm like that. I'm always shocked when people are nice to me because that's not a normal happening for me or the way I grew up. When I started writing this poem, I had no idea how it was going to end. I thought she was going to get punished, as did she....so I was overwhelmed when it ended like it did. You are such a softie, D'Sal! bless your heart....

      Delete
    2. It did end well. I know what it is to be talked to like that.

      I'm so sorry that you grew up like that. You didn't deserve it. Had I been your father you wouldn't have been treated that way!

      Are you shocked with my being kind and nice to you?

      Delete
    3. I am always shocked when ANYONE is kind to me. I'm not used to it.
      I appreciate you very much, my friend.

      Delete
    4. Well, you just better get used to it, Your Graciousness! You’ll get nothing less from me!

      Delete