collab

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Whispers Be Damned






 Whispers Be Damned


Whispering in the shadows,

I know it's you

Head bent low so I can't see

The gleaming of your eyes,

The curve of your lips,

The impish smile they wear 

Only for me.


You walked away

When things were good,

When love was sweet,

Our yearning was immeasurable,

Our dreams meshed,

And making love was like

A never empty basket full of luscious ripe fruit.


Or maybe, it was me

I don't remember

But we parted

In the midst of paradise found,

Connections that had been made so complete,

And our mouths drinking thirstily

Of the wine of our sweet love.


Then the whispers began,

The jealous hearts

With pointed fingers

And untrue tales of guile

They spoke of deeds

We had not done

And beds we had not lain in.


And our two hearts

Were torn apart,

Ripped and ravished

By lust and lies

Savaged by the fiends and fools

Who could not stand

To see us smile.


But we were the fools

That believed the lies,

Swallowed the unsavory,

And listened to the lurid

While all the while,

Our souls warned us

To close our ears to slander.


No more whispers for us then 

On silken pillows,

No more laughter in the rain,

No more "I love you's" 

Just because

No more loving

In the night.


But there you stand

In the arms of darkness,

Wanting to hold me

But afraid to try

And here I stand on an empty sidewalk

Wanting to cry out

But afraid to cry.


I know you see me, pausing there

Feeling your form

With arms full of longing,

Kissing your lips

With mouth full of hungry,

Hesitation holds us back,

Fear binds us with velvet ropes.


And then you say my name

In a whisper that becomes a shout,

A shout that becomes a torrent, a torrent that becomes a river,

And a river that becomes an ocean

Stepping out of the shadows, you pull me into your arms, 

Not caring who sees, not fearing who hears,

Once more, connected...........

And  whispers be damned.






©By Voo Shining Stone
Nov 2020


A Quiet Place instrumental

2 comments:

  1. That is so romantically written! Knowing they should not have listened to all the chatter from outside the realm of their love,; the suspicions, the lies, and slanderous talk. But the yearn for one another was stronger.It broke the strongholds that kept them apart. He couldn't stand it any longer. And she recognized those whispers that she has probably heard many times while in the throes of passion.

    I felt a relief there at the end. And the guitar instrumental, This Journey called Life, is a moving piece of music..............I loved it all.

    ReplyDelete