collab

Monday, March 14, 2022

Illusion Of Flight


 


Illusion of Flight



Catching the sight of three birds in flight
From the corner of my left eye, I
Felt a momentary pang of longing
Deep in the chest where my heart lies.

Fettered by feet and weary human-ness
I confess I am tired of this earth bound existence
Tired of this walking on hard packed sod
And ancient burial grounds of the long forgotten.

I want to rise up with wings
And soar with the freedom of untied dreams
Glide on the currents of the truly unbound
And dance on the intangible glories of sky.

I want to fly!

But still I walk, sighing loudly
The birds out of sight now, I
Hurry to my cubicle of conformity
Shoved in with the masses of the all-the-same.

Almighty dollars pressure me to reach
Needing them to meet my need, I
Strive in futile, uninspired destituted hope
Ever mindful of the ship coming in on the horizon.

I want to fly!

If I had been born a bird
I'd fly until my feathers fell out
And my wings would not lift me off the ground
And then I'd fly, a ghostbird, in Eden's realm.

I want to fly!

Retracing my steps back home from work
I sought to find the beautiful birds, I
Had seen in peripheral sight this morning
Knowing that it was an almost impossible thing.

But what! From the corner of my right eye
I spy their graceful forms above the hedges
Three white stainless birds of steel and structure
Fettered to the concrete by bars of iron!

I am crushed, I am disheartened, I am disconsolate
This revelation of illusion of flight has undone me
And I walk home with a much, much heavier heart
Than the one I had this morning.

I want to fly!

 


          
©by Voo
September 17, 07

5:05 p.m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment