collab

Sunday, November 18, 2018

WOMAN OF THE YEAR





Woman of the Year



Standing there in the spotlight

In my slinky black dress and three-inch heels,
Glittering diamonds falling near to my smooth shoulders
(Shining almost as brightly as these eyes of golden brown)
I drowned in the adoration and applause,
The thunderous pounding of my own heart,
(Foolish though it be, founded in vanity and hope)
And the flattery that only an hungry heart can consume.


The pedestal held me high
Proclaimed me Queen and above all others,
Raised me up to heights I had only imagined
In childhood daydreams, crowned me with tiaras
And stood me on tip-toe dancing like a ballerina
Before stunned, breathless masses
Watching me twirl
Like the plastic girl on top of a music box
Like the jester that does not know
Why the audience laughs.


I was The Woman of the Year
The Chosen One, the Queen For a Day,
The Princess Without a Kingdom,
The Star That Fell From The Sky,

And the fool that only read half of the book
And did not know how the fairy tale faded
Because I believed the author that told me
That it never would, it never would
That the position was mine until the end of Forever
(Which apparently ended yesterday
 When closed doors were opened
And new chapters revealed.)


Tumbling off that pedestal
Into the dirt of betrayal and the shame
That only comes with love and trust,
I lay in the darkness that falls
When the spotlight goes out and the silence descends
Into the happy, noisy halls of innocence
And joy that wakes at love's discovery
Silence
As deafening as the roaring crowd at a silver screen premiere
And as piercing as a dagger in the hand of Caesar's friend.


There she stands today
In yesterday's spotlight
My spotlight, my glory, my adoration, my love
Beaming like the only starlet that ever graced your skies,
Shining like Venus in eternal orbit, your orbit
Your damned, beautiful orbit, cold as space,
Blazing with ice and cubic zirconium,
Dark enough to hide the wolf in your laughing eyes
But light enough to snare a soul
Like me
Lost, wandering in the night.


I was the Woman of the Year
But now the year is over
And another fool has taken my place
The place I took from the fool before
The place that will always be there
In the future
With a younger face
The orbit widens, it never slows down,
The spotlight always beckons, always lures
And every poor and trusting heart
That mounts that pedestal made of lies, says:
"This is my place and here I will always stay."

I was the Woman of the Year
But the spotlight that held me in it's embrace
Has forever gone dark
In your eyes................



©By Voo

July 18, 2009
7:47 p.m.
















No comments:

Post a Comment