collab

Thursday, August 15, 2019

ALREADY THERE a prose poem full of odds and ends





Already There



Walking through life
We stumble sometimes
Upon unlocked doors......

And we hesitate, wondering
If we should open that door
That is standing there ajar, beckoning
For us to take a chance.

There may be danger lurking there,
There may be terrifying consequences,
Or there may be something wonderful
We never know.

And some of us will never know
Because we are too afraid to take that chance
And so we flinch and jerk back our hands,
Leave the door ajar for someone else to open.

And someone else does bravely open that door
And discovers all sorts of fantastic things waiting inside:
A new job, a home, the love of a lifetime,
The answer to a prayer, our prayer, but we were too afraid.

Afraid to try because we are scarred by rejection,
Crushed by hurt and traumatized by terror
Emotional wounds covered by scar tissue and flimsy bandages
That never healed us, only covered up our pain so no one could see it.

But we always knew it was there inside us 
Just waiting to be triggered by the next bullet,
The next blade, the next unkind word
And we've traded our kindness for anger and hidden our love in hate.

Knowing that that's not who we are or even want to be
We're just trapped in a cell of emotion,
Fallen down a well full of broken-ness
And imprisoned in pain that we don't know how to heal.

God didn't make us like that.............

He made us in His image and His image is love,
His heart is love and His thoughts are of love,
His kingdom is love and His bounty is love
And love is what we're all afraid of the most.

So we disrupt His plans and go running away
From every open door, every road map that falls on our path,
Every circumstance He has worked on for years 
To bless us and fix us and turn us around.

And I, am more guilty of that running than most 
Fleeing when no one pursues, no threat is discerned
No evidence is presented and no danger seems imminent
Running and running when I should give myself up.

What is it about surrender that terrifies our soul?
Why hold onto pride when it comes before every fall?
Why do we stare down and back away from a blessing?
A blessing that can heal us and bring our hope back again?

I once stumbled over a rainbow and found hidden treasures 
So many my back and my arms couldn't bear
And I fell in a well full of love never knowing
That the love I fell into was already there.

Already there, waiting for me to find it
Already there but my eyes could not see
It was already there just beyond the unlocked door
Waiting to give itself unto me.

And I tasted love and touched it's hand
I heard it's sweet voice softly say
"You've finally found the thing you wanted."
And I just screamed and ran away.

Look in my eyes, my searching friend
Into eyes of sorrow that rued my choice
I threw away my long sought joy
That called to me with tender voice.

For fear of hurt and fear of losing
I threw away the promise of
All of my dreams coming to pass
No longer pursuing, but running from love.

The irony is not lost on me
Believe me, friend, I see the jest
In what I'm saying and warning you
Love's student I was, but not the best.

But now I know and now I share
With all who'll listen and heed my call
Love hurts sometimes and love heals the hurting
So don't run from it's touch or fear the fall.

It's frightening to fall when you don't know what's waiting
And we've all reached to hearts that proved they didn't care
But when you fall in true love, love will be there to catch you
You can't fall into something that's not already there.


©By Voo
August 15, 2019
10:15 p.m.
copyrighted








Fallin by Michael Grimm
..

3 comments:

  1. LOL just another case of Atomic feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing Sinister I'm sure. Both of our writings are about running away. I just use the phrase Atomic feet.

      Delete