collab

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

THE GREEN GREEN DREAM OF THE GUITAR an urban swamp legend that I created




Junkyard Blues by Rat Rod
slide guitar Cajun music
play while reading


                 





The Green Green Dream of the Guitar


       
So I'm driving down this lost highway
In my decades-old black car
With my suitcase sharing the back seat space
With my treasured green guitar

A map opened to Louisiana
On the floor there at my right
As I thought about the strange phone call
That awoke me around midnight

A paying gig, a three night stand
And the pay was really good
They wondered if I could come and play
And I said I thought I could

The bills were high and my rent was due
And the boss had let me go
There was no need to let me stay
For there was no work, you know?

So I packed my bags and I headed south
Though my heart was full of strife
Excited by the prospects looming
Because music was my life!

Playing since the age of ten
I dreamed of going far
But all I'd gained in fifteen years
Was this car and that guitar

And the guitar was a beauty
Shiny silky green so fine
And the sound that came from the two of us
Could blow a grown man's mind

I didn't have a manager
I couldn't afford P. R.
I got my gigs by word of mouth
As I chased that silver star

So, who had called, I didn't know
Truth told, I didn't care
Some tiny bar in the deep deep south
Was waiting for me there

Cold beer and pretty women
Danced cross my poor boy's mind
And I trembled, thinking about it all
And wondering what I'd find

Along 'bout noon on a lonely road
With no cars or bars in sight
I put down the top, pulled out the map
To see if I'd read it right

The air was crisp, the sky was blue
There was honey on the wind
And a kind of feeling came over me
Like I'd been caressed by sin

Alarmed, I turned the ignition key
But the car, it wouldn't start
And no matter how I cursed or prayed
There was no life in her heart

So I grabbed my guitar from the back seat
And headed down the road
Took the fork that turned to left
Though my soul cried to forebode

I walked for what then seemed like days
But I knew that couldn't be
Down roads and paths and country lanes
Following something I couldn't see

Through fields so green, they hurt my eyes
Past creeks and brooks and streams
All colored like bright emerald jewels
Found only in your dreams

Somewhere off there in the distance
I heard a woman's voice
Singing tender lullabies
And I went, I had no choice

And as I walked, played my guitar
To that melody so sweet
That put a wildness in my blood
And dancing in my feet

I followed till the sun went down
Into that dark green west
Into a forest of whispering trees
With longing in my breast

And then the song came to an end
And I heard a lover's sighs
And there she sat and there I fell
With beauty in my eyes

Up in a tree, like fairies do
A girl so pure and rare
Sat on a limb just looking down
While my heart stopped to stare

"I waited for you." is all she said
As I rushed toward the tree
But she put out her hand and said
"Play your green guitar for me."

And as I played, I fell in love
Looking at her light
Playing as the sun sank low
With promise of the night

She sang to me of long ago
Of passion and of fire
And as she sang, my heart became
Filled with her desire.

"Come!" she shouted and laughing, fled
Jumping to the ground
And off she ran through lush green grass
And her footsteps made no sound

I followed, calling, "Wait for me!"
But her feet, they would not slow
And she took me deeper into the dark
To a place I did not know

To marshes and to swamp lands
To thick and foreign vines
To roots of old, like living things
With mouths and eyes and minds

To bird and tree and flower
Like none I'd ever seen
To a realm of song and nightmare
In a world of emerald green

And as the darkness grew, I felt
Her touch upon my arm
"Fear not," she softly said to me
"I will not do you harm."

Her essence, candles in the dark,
Her smile, the moon above,
Her lips like honey in the comb,
Her eyes like liquid love

With urgency I've never felt
With hunger like a knife
I grabbed her up in arms of steel
Like a dead man would his life

Kisses sweet as morning rain
I poured upon her lips
Thirsting for the taste of love
That till then, I'd only sips

And I fell in rapture, falling
Through a haze and maze of thought
Love chased me down forbidden roads
And I knew that I'd been caught

My fingers in her long dark hair,
My mouth against her skin,
I knew if this was love and war
That surely, she would win

Then through the gnarled and ancient trees
I heard a growling roar
And when I opened up my eyes
My love was there no more

My green guitar could not be found
As frantically I searched
Wondering if her father'd seen
Her purity besmirched.

I tried to find a path to walk
As night fell harder still
Feeling I had lost my heart
And worse than that, my will

The quiet was shattered by the sounds
Of crow and frog and beast
Gleaming green now in the bog
And suddenly they ceased

I stood in silence, waiting then
For my love to appear
Waiting to feel that rush of joy
But finding only fear

"Where are you?" I called to her
"I cannot see the path."
And in the distance I heard her sigh
And then I heard her laugh

"Come, my love!" she beckoned me
And I stumbled toward the sound
Falling in the deep dark water
And through the night, and down

Awful things with shining eyes
They brushed against my face
Caught me in their cold dead arms
And held me in that place

Then up I went and fought and sought
The air, the sky, the light
Peering through the greenish glow
To see the hellish sight

My love, a thing not of this world
Without her lovely charms
Holding my sweet green guitar
In her green ghoulish arms

She smiled with razored teeth and laughed
Holding up her prize
Looked at me struggling in the swamp
With no light in her eyes

I do not know what happened next
For my knees and mind went weak
And to this day, I do not know
And the truth I will not seek

I found myself back in my car
On the highway going south
With a mighty hole torn in my soul
And a bad taste in my mouth

I shook for hours, I could not stop
Till I pulled into the bar
Where no one had ever heard of me
Or my missing green guitar









© by Voo Shining Stone
May 5, 2010





Dead Man theme song
by Neil Young
goes really well with this story.....



Cadillac in the Swamp

by Smokehouse



4 comments:

  1. Another memorable poem. I'm glad you've been re-printing your classic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding them on old laptops! I love this one! I'm on mewe now and getting an audience there now who don't
      know my work

      Delete
  2. My Voo, My Voo What an awesome story from you!!! The call of a dream, the adventure of the unknown then the devastation of the truth... I think that's called life 😂 Love it sweet lady! 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, McDo. I'm glad you like it. I don't know where this came from but I love it.

      Delete