collab

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

THE GLORY TRAIN



Train sounds


 The Glory Train

         

Down by the old train tracks in Glory, Mississippi
                There is a man that walks alone
Almost every night when the moon is high
                Waiting for a train..............
That never comes by.

Sometimes you can see him
Sometimes you can feel him
Sometimes you just know that he's there
Walking and weeping and crying like a baby
For the girl who had left him 'cause she didn't care.

               They say he died there waiting for the train
                To come back through and go searching for her
                In the blast of a blizzard and the arms of the wind
                He froze like a statue for the train had derailed
                 And neither he or that old train would be running again.

There are too many stories
               That come out of Glory
And I haven't a clue if any are true
But I know this one is and that man's not a myth
And this is the story I'm telling to you.

I've seen him myself and that is the truth
When the night was quiet and the moon was full
A pale apparition with big ghostly eyes
Piercing the silence with his heartbroken moans
Walking and wailing like the poor man could die.

One night I walked there as I made my way home
Following the tracks in the cold December fog
Longing for warmth and the comfort of fire
Sad for myself and the love I had lost
                 Lost for my lips were the lips of a liar.

A coldness colder than  deep winter's breath
Blew on my face and clutched at my arm
I  froze where I stood like my cold feet were fused
For a man stood there holding.................
A ticket he'd never used.

I shook my head when he held out the ticket
                 Staring at him and not wanting to see
Then I turned to flee in my terror's mad grasp
                 Running away from my future
                As he ran towards his past.

                But then I stopped and turned to face him
Standing there waiting on those tracks of pure rust
His face was a see through mask of such pain
And in the distance in the darkness
We both heard the train.

It hadn't run in forty years
                It hadn't existed since before I was born
It hadn't sounded that old whistle low
And how it ran then, I couldn't tell you
But the man caught the train and that's all that I know.

         



©By Voo
Oct 9, 08
2 a.m.

2 comments:

  1. This one gave me goose bumps! I SHOULD have read it in back in '08, because I believe I had "found" you on Mspazz by then, but I don't remember it, and I KNOW I'd remember this one! Chilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I just found this in a folder. never posted it before. It's different, isn't it? thank you

      Delete